TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Legal Documents Signed Without My Consent

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Legal Documents Signed Without My Consent

Postby BarbaraL » Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:16 pm

The lease is in my name. The person living in the apartment did not pay rent for 4 months. He was taken to court, and as I was not there, they allowed him to sign a document stating that he would vacate the apartment, and no back rent would be owed.

This tenant has lived in this apartment for several years, but his name was never on the lease. I moved out a couple of years ago, and continued paying rent there for a while, regardless.

Is this document signed by this co-tenant legal? The lease is in my name, but I never gave any consent to this. Does the fact that I was not present make this legal, since, whether I knew about it or not, my not showing up could have caused an automatic judgement against me?

I want to clarify that this signed document means that my lease on this apartment has ended. Can my lease be ended by the signature of a co-tenant who was not on the lease?

<small>[ December 23, 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: BarbaraL ]</small>
BarbaraL

Re: Legal Documents Signed Without My Consent

Postby Phil Cohen » Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:41 pm

If you're not just curious and something is at stake--that is not clear from your post--it sounds to me this is a question that needs to be answered by a lawyer.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC General Discussion