TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

2 DIFFERENT LEASES (NO LEASE)

Moderator: TenantNet

2 DIFFERENT LEASES (NO LEASE)

Postby bezeinya » Fri May 26, 2006 1:06 pm

I had an agreement with my LL. As it turns out his attorney had us sign different leases. I do not agree to the one he signed and He does not agree to the one I signed. I have paid security deposit and all rents due to date. He said yesterday he is going to get an eviction notice from the Judge to have me kicked out for trespassing. HELP what can I do, and dare I pay rent that is due on the first of June? I know it would be a fight to get anything back.

HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP!
bezeinya

Re: 2 DIFFERENT LEASES (NO LEASE)

Postby Rodneystri » Fri May 26, 2006 2:15 pm

LL's Atty was/is is agent so a lease that your sigh with the agent is binding on the LL. Pay your rent so that you can at lease state that you paid the rent.
Rodneystri

Postby bezeinya » Fri May 26, 2006 2:44 pm

With eviction threats, do you think that is all they are? I havent seen any legal papers from anyone yet, and don't owe anything. He has signed a different lease it is notorized and is the original and I have it not the attorney. The attorney has lost the one I signed, (this guy is a real piece of work).
bezeinya

Postby Downtown » Sat May 27, 2006 8:13 am

Is the only existing lease the LL's.
No copies of yours. Does atty, admit that there was another lease that you signed.
[In future always make a copy of what you sign and take with you.]
No papers have been served...so right now just a threat. Agree, pay June's rent.
Is there any middle ground between both leases. Can you live with terms of LL's.
Downtown

Postby bezeinya » Tue May 30, 2006 9:08 am

I have a copy of the lease that I signed at his office. It was never notorized or signed by anyone else. Attorney doesn't recall this lease that I signed in his office and dosen't have the original anymore, I have the only copy of it that I had made before I left there. There is no middle ground at this point. The LL has lied/changed thier mind, to many times for me to feel good about signing anything. Month to month I might do? But he is to wishy washy for much else.
bezeinya

Postby Downtown » Wed May 31, 2006 8:23 am

Ok, you have a copy of the lease that was presented and signed by you. Keys were given to you to move in.
Assume that you did not sign LL's copy (if you did then that is the valid one).
Don't know if Georgia law requires 2 signatures for contract to be binding. Could call a tenant atty and ask. Otherwise, atty screwed up and LL would have to convince a court that your lease should be invalidated because of atty. mistake.
Once you check on 2 signature law (if not required) then would send a copy (of your lease) to LL and atty.
Downtown

Postby Anna » Wed May 31, 2006 10:47 pm

Do you have a copy of the LL's version of the lease?

Are there any substantial differences, i.e., rent amount, length of lease, pets allowed? (IOW, why does it matter to you?)
Anna

Postby bezeinya » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:13 am

Actually I have the original notorized LL lease. His does benefit me, as there is no deposit required and where in the lease I signed I paid a $5000 deposit. I really just want to cut my ties here, as I just can't and don't trust anything this man says now. I want get some of my money back and move on. I will check on the two signature clause today. Thanks
bezeinya

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York