TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

decrease tenant name only on lease

Moderator: TenantNet

decrease tenant name only on lease

Postby kimbo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:51 am

Hello,

I moved in with my Aunt 2 years ago because she became very sick. Her apartment is rent stabilized. She has lived there for about 25-30 yrs. About a year after moving in it is seem like she was getting better, but
around October she started becoming ill again. My Aunt had to have emergency surgery which lead to her being on a respiratory. She died about a week later in the hospital. She did not leave a will.
My aunt was going to have my name added to her lease, which expires in July'05. What chances do I have in having the apartment turn over in my name. I was responsible for a part of the rent and the food.
I gave my aunt cash for my part of the rent until recently. In January "05 I gave her a check for 2 1/2 months rent because she was not able to work any overtime because of her illness. I never transfer my mail from my POB in Jersey
when I moved out of my apartment. I had my belonging in storage for about a year and just recently moved my things to my Aunts apartment after she stated she would add my name to her lease.

I have hear of a Lease Succession- what is the requirement for this.

Thanking everyone in advance for they help.

. :p
kimbo

Re: decrease tenant name only on lease

Postby HardKnocks » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:21 am

Where do you live?
HardKnocks

Postby kimbo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:49 pm

I live in NY, in my aunt's apartment.
kimbo

Postby HardKnocks » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:02 pm

Let's try this again...

You posted in "Other Areas, Beyond New York." That's why I asked where you live.

Where in NY do you live? Five boroughs, Westchester, upstate? This matters, as it will affect the advice you get here. :)
HardKnocks

Postby kimbo » Thu May 05, 2005 12:31 pm

I live in Manhanttan. I was not sure which posting to select. I accidentially selected beyond New york area. I just was hoping that someone out there would be able to assist me and there guide me in the correct chat area.

I know how is it when the same rheortical question is posted in different areas. Should I post this question again in the correct location?
kimbo

Postby HardKnocks » Thu May 05, 2005 1:11 pm

Definitely! Post again in "Rent-regulated" and explain why you're reposting, just in case.

Put "Succession rights" somewhere in your title, too. :)
HardKnocks

Postby Downtown » Thu May 05, 2005 1:15 pm

Use search...write in succession, choose rent regulated. Will provide good info as well as link to DHCR fact sheet #30.
Downtown

Postby Anna » Thu May 05, 2005 1:44 pm

DHCR removed niece/aunt from the list of family members awhil ago. If your LL objected, you would have to be able to prove you were a 'non-traditional' family instead. This is much more difficult. Search for that term here http://tenant.net/ after reading FS #30 and other info on succession on this website.
Anna

Postby HardKnocks » Thu May 05, 2005 3:23 pm

Oh, NOW you all show up here!!! LOL :p

I still think the OP should repost in the correct section, as NYC tenants in the same situation will not look here to either give or receive advice about it...
HardKnocks

Postby kimbo » Thu May 05, 2005 5:05 pm

Thank you for your response. I will re-post my question in the correct location for others who
might have a similar problem.

I will to the links that were suggested for additional information.

Thanks to all!!!
kimbo

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York