TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Looking For Tenants With Experience of This Delimma

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

Looking For Tenants With Experience of This Delimma

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:58 pm

I am bombarded nightly with noise in the form of banging pipes within the wall behind the toilet combined with a constant hissing sound which increases in volume after 11:30 pm 7 nights a week. There is also a continous/excessive running of water on/off at the same hours. This issue has what appears to be a communication between the apt. above me and below me which takes the form of toilet flushing when the tenants above enter 11:30pm. There is a pattern of two flushes above followed by one below and at time this will reverse yet the pattern remains. Then starts the pipe banging which does increase in volume sporadically thru the night. It appears whatever the pipe issue is, it is within the controll of higher/lower in force. I would compare it to a spring lever pulled backed and released.

Adding to the above, the tenants above are up all night and as I am awoken numerous times, they manage to place themselves in the areas where I go bathroom/kitch. It is a fact and a frightening one. I searched my mind how this is possiable and came to the conclusion there is some form of monitering taking place. How and for what purpose I can't say.

At one point there was a blowing into my apt. the foulest stench of fish oder thru the air vent in the kitch. It permeated thru the entire apt. into even the closets. I did file a complaint to 311 and recieved a report from DOB the air ventalation system was working properly though I do not know how that was possiable since my statement expressed there was a stove hood air duct attached to the system within the apts above/below and the laws of physics confirm there has to be pressure from above/below to create the force of air to expell out of the vent in my kitch. The DOB never gained access into the apts. I currently live with a strip of paper towle over the air vent awaiting to film the strip blowing away from the vent rather than laying flush against the vent.

I called/wrote the LL,DOB,HPD,NYPD,Human Rights (I fit a very specific catagory whome should obtain help) and nothing resolved the problems. I cannot use my resources to obtain private help. Are there any suggestions short of moving that can be accessed? Thanks for any support.
Emeraldstar

Re: Looking For Tenants With Experience of This Delimma

Postby TenantNet » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:02 pm

First, people tend to shy away from those who claim they are being monitored as it sounds too much like a conspiracy theory. Without getting into all the details, search this forum for 'pipes' or 'steam' and you will realize that pipes in old apartment buildings with steam heat can bang and clang naturally without human intervention. I'm not saying something else is going on, but allow for that possibility. In old buildings steam would rise through a pipe, condense, and then flow back as water. But when buildings settle, the incline of a pipe may be lost so the condensed water does not eaily flow back. This causes the pipes to bang. The way to combat this is to raise the radiator, maybe with pieces of wood. Sometimes a half inch can do the job so it's raised sufficently to allow the condensed water to flow back.

If the banging is loud, then other tenants will also experience it. Try approaching the LL to see if they are willing to address it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Aubergine » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:20 pm

Don't trust the LL or any of those agencies to help you! You don't know who you may be dealing with. The only thing to do is to hire a professional countersurveillance expert who has the equipment necessary to sweep your apartment. There are people who might be able to decode the messages being sent between your upstairs and downstairs neighbors, but they don't come cheap and they are in high demand these days, what with all of the "sleeper" terror cells living among us. One thing you absolutely must do right away is seal up that stove hood vent before more noxious or even toxic fumes enter your apartment! Don't wait to see the paper blowing away from the vent -- by the time you do, it may be too late!

Good luck!
Aubergine

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:49 pm

Thanks for the response.

To clairfy for the administrator, the issue stems within the bathroom pipes and the building was completed in 1963. Is that considered old? I do acknowledge your explanation re: a radiator. Can that also occur in the bathroom? Do you have any knowledge re: what would create an increase in volume in the hiss I described? During the day it apppears to soften and I did close the bathroom door to test the volume allowing for outside noise interference. It definately is lower. It does subside for a few days sporadically then returns. Any idea re: bangs in bathroom pipes?

In response to Aubergine, thanks for the advice. I know it sounds odd but at least you are willing to think of the possibility. I do not believe it is "sleeper cells" but I have thought there is the high probability as a 25year tenant,stabilized, that if I can be intimitated I'll leave. Why else would an above tenant bother? I forgot to include this is occurring for the past 2 years ceasing during July & Aug. And the room to room situation raised the question for whome does this benefit? At the very least it is reasonable to think someone who wants the apt. I did check the private route and at $50. per hr. that was way out of my league since I realized a pattern must be established.

Re: the air vent I do believe it is a violation of health standards for me to cover the vent as that would place me in the same position as those whome I believe altered the system. It's purpose is to exhaust the air through the kitch since there is no window in the room.

Thease are actual events and I am truly in need of support and can't fathom how the agencies I listed can just disregard. I really did believe the NYPD would have realized the seriousness of the situation. I was under the impression to cause psychological harm is harassment. They just patronized me and left it at that.

Try to think how disturbing the situation is, it is to my credit I havent broken down. I really am hoping to to gain advice towards resolution of the issues from this forum. I am open to all ideas.
Emeraldstar

Postby Downtown » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:17 am

Have you tried speaking with a plumber as to what the pipe noise could be.
Downtown

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Downtown
When HPD responded and inspected they sent me a lengthly report describing a water system that goes six stories up and descends back to basemt. They found nothing amiss. They never actually addressed my issue of inspecting the apts. above/below where the sounds are focused. I hesitate to hire a plummber because it seems to be yet another cost/time consuming dirversion on the part of LL. I really have gone in circles. I am hoping the forum eventually may produce another tenant in the same prediciment I really do know where the noise stems from. Currently taking a cam corder and trying to establish a pattern. Keep me in mind if you hear of any info.
Emeraldstar

Postby cestmoi123 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:32 am

Aubergine: Whoosh. :roll:
cestmoi123

Postby Emeraldstar » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:22 pm

cestmoi123 Hi LOL When a tenant is dealing with a hostile LL humiliation is part of the pkg.
If a situation such as this can be manifested then it has tangiable orgins. In time I'll find the tools to get it to cease.
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:01 pm

A Bad Tenant Payback Update: Within 4 wks of HPD inspection I rec'd a letter from LL stating noise is emnating at unreasonable hrs. wants to inspect for carpet. For 25 yrs. I've had wood floors.(no complaints) The supers friend took over apt. below (the tenant of 30 yrs died) 3 yrs. ago and obtained a job in maintenence with LL 6 mo's ago. Now I need carpet. Getting the idea? Dealing with a legal minipulator who is and will attempt to cause economic hardship while stressing me simutaneously. Still open minded to any advice. Happy Holidays
Emeraldstar

Postby Fraser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:52 pm

does anyone know if the appelate term upheld Doig- Marx (preferential rent)?
Fraser

Postby TenantNet » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:05 pm

What does that have to do with banging pipes? Please put such a question in the right thread or start another.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:42 am

Up late the pipes are still banging. Hope to hear from others re: pipes.
? re: air vent, does anyone have info on the cleaning of such? Quite a bit of dust behind vent cover. Is this something i can request of LL? Happy New Year
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:53 am

Sudden discovery Re:pipe bangs
My entire bathroom ceiling was dismantled to repair a leak damage. While looking at bare beams/toilet pipe in apt. above the hiss mentioned in prior post was loud and obvious stemming from the apt. above. Discussed it with someone who has experience with plumming(sp?) and was told there is a broken seal in the flushing device. Was also told eventually this will cause a burst within the structure. Possibility of pipe bangs related to pressure. Question is: since there was an inspection by HPD supposedly in apt. above has anyone ever filed a dispute with HPD findings? I do not believe HPD ever gained access into apt. LL is taking a stand that the report states no issues found. Thanks for any responses.
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi
Awaiting ans, has anyone ever approached a dispute with HPD? If yes what is the protocol?
Thanks for your input.
Emeraldstar

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Concerned I may have become the humor of the forum? The situation remains the same. It seems to me befor I file an issue with DHCR I would have to confirm the alligation. The HPD should have moved to correct since they CLAIM to have made an onsite observation. It's a convoluted situation. Though inspecting the plumming they did not gain access into apts. which should have determined the source. I am left with no choice but to dispute. Your forum advice is a valuable resource. Aubergine,Concourse,Downtown please don't leave me out in the cold. Thanks for any resources and your input.
Emeraldstar

Next

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC