TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

New Place in Texas...........

Moderator: TenantNet

New Place in Texas...........

Postby jjon00 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:36 am

I just re-enlisted in the service and was stationed in El Paso Texas. My wife and I found a nice apartment off post and are mostly happy except........ There has been 4 auto thefts in the past 5 months just out of the little "nook" that our building resides on. My wife tried talking to the management group but they pretty much blew her off. is there anything we can do? there is lighting but it dosent help any. I THink if they just put up signs saying the place was "Under Servailance" and maybe a few of those fake cameras we wouldent have any problems but they dont want to spend any money at all, normal landlord?? Any advice?
jjon00

Postby Downtown » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:19 am

Is this parking nook part of your lease (does it read parking included or mention parking area).
If so, then LL has an obligaton to secure the space.
Otherwise, suggest you buy a stering wheel lock (would do that anyway).
Downtown

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:21 pm

I thiknk what Downtown was raising is whether or not the parking area ... what you call a "nook" ... is that on a public street or on private property? If on a public street, then LL has no responsibility (at least legally). And if on private property, then that depends. Is the parking just there? Or is it specified in the lease? Some complexes have parking lots, but there's little that can be done do secure them. If it's an attended parking lot in a highly private ritzy enclave, that might be different.

Is the LL cooperating with the police? Have the police made suggestions to the LL and then he's ignoring it?

- why not ask the police to do a security analysis and have the report sent to the LL. It might not create any more legal responsibility on the part of the LL, but you never know.

- what about a residents association? Or Civic group? It may not be appropriate for a tenants association, but the former can have influence. Maybe they can buy some "under surveillance" signs at the local Kmart and plop them in the ground ... even if there are no cameras. And yes, a fake camera would help. Check ebay .. I've seen them there.

- yes a stering [sic] wheel lock would be good.

All depends on how far you want to go, and who does it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York