TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Roommate has AC in her room-Billing Question

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Roommate has AC in her room-Billing Question

Postby johnny » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:44 pm

My roommate recently installed an AC in her room. I don't use an AC or any high consumption appliances. She uses the AC off and on and sometimes keeps it on all night so our bill is pretty high. How do I divide the bill so I don't end up paying more than I should? Thanks for the answers.
johnny

Re: Roommate has AC in her room-Billing Question

Postby HAJ77 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:45 am

Very simple assuming you don't have electric heat. Compare a bill from March or April (before she used the A/C)and your recent bill, then charge her the extra amount. Con Ed shows average consumption on the bills, so it's easy to see when the usage spiked and if nothing else has changed it proves the A/C is the issue.
HAJ77

Postby mjr203 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:13 am

Originally posted by HJ:
Very simple assuming you don't have electric heat. Compare a bill from March or April (before she used the A/C)and your recent bill, then charge her the extra amount. Con Ed shows average consumption on the bills, so it's easy to see when the usage spiked and if nothing else has changed it proves the A/C is the issue.
and the kick is GOOD!
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:01 am

Not entirely fair because "Summer Rates" go into effect sometime around May or June. Even so, you can still figure out the average amount of electricity you both used before the summer based on Kilowatts, and calculate the increased costs on that.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby consigliere » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:28 pm

There are several ways to calculate how much to charge your roommate for the electricity used by an air conditioner:

(1) Over the five months when Con Edison's summer rates apply, you could charge the annual amount allowed by DHCR's current update to Operational Bulletin 84-4.

(2) You could use the annual kilowatt-hour usage shown on the manufacturer's label for that model air conditioner, and apply the current Con Edison summer rates.

(3) You could apply the current Con Edison summer rates to the kilowatt-hour usage of the air conditioner, by comparing the usage in your Con Edison bill for the current month this year versus the usage in the same month's bill last year.

consigliere

Return to NYC General Discussion