TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Possible structural damage found on roof--many other issues

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

Possible structural damage found on roof--many other issues

Postby brooklynroof » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:19 am

Hi,
I live in a pre-war, non-rent-stabilized, 3 unit building (more on that in a sec)---
I recently went up on my roof (accessible through a ladder on the fire escape) and discovered that a large section of the wall that sticks up about 2 feet above the rooftop had crumbled. It appears to have simply tumbled onto the rooftop. The bricks beneath it seem to be in pretty bad shape. I don't go up on the roof that often, so I do not know how long it has been this way, could have been up to 3-4 months, or much more recently. Upon discovery, I have obviously become concerned about the building----

I am looking for some advice about how to deal with this situation. The reason that I am hesitant to immediately inform the landlord is because I don't necessarily trust that they will take care of the situation that is in the interests of our safety. Much of the work that has been done in this building appears to have been done quite hastily. Most recently, this summer, the first floor storefront was converted into a residence. Although it appears that the building is legally zoned for 3 residences, I was unable to find any permits for the renovation on-line, and I do suspect that it was done without any inspections. There was also a stop-work order from 1994 that is considered an open-violation.

Should I call 311? If I do and the building is considered unsafe, am I entitled to any assistance, if, in the worst case scenario, we would have to vacate? Or, should I first give the landlord a chance to deal with it?

Any advice would be appreciated------

thank you,

BR
brooklynroof

Postby Anna » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:07 am

parapet = "wall that sticks up about 2 feet above the rooftop had crumbled."

call 311: danger to anyone who walks by.

"Most recently, this summer, the first floor storefront was converted into a residence"
legally?: check on DOB for permits, jobs, CO application, new CO.
If old CO does not permit residence, new T will not have to pay rent, MDL 302.
Anna

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC