TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Trying to Extort Money :( HELP!!

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Trying to Extort Money :( HELP!!

Postby collegeGirl01 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:32 am

Hi all...thanks for reading.

I subletted from another college student this past summer. He's not the landlord but the renter.

It's almost been 30 days, and he hasn't sent a list of damages. But in a previous email, he threatened to charge me more money on top of the $400 security deposit.

He's completely crazy...He wants the entire house professionally cleaned, wants me to pay for his pots (which are in perfect condition, I never even used them), and wants extra rent for my guest (who came in for 3 weeks because she had problems with her parents).

He said I broke the lease for letting my guest stay there, and wants 3 MONTHS worth of extra rent. which will go up to 1000.

I know he's not allowed to do this, so I'm prepared to just let him have the security deposit and go to hell. Could he really sue me for additional money? should I just ignore his email?

THANKS FOR READING, and please help me out! I'm so helpless. :(
collegeGirl01

Postby lofter1 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:32 am

The fact that the LL has put this in writing (via the email) could work in your favor (as evidence of his attempted "extortion").

Suggest that you try and get him to put more in writing -- but without you admitting or agreeing to anything (more along the lines of "I'm not clear -- could you specify").

Let the LL hang himself ...
lofter1

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York