TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

FORCED TO GET RID OF DOG FROM PRIVATE HOME IN NJ!!!

Moderator: TenantNet

FORCED TO GET RID OF DOG FROM PRIVATE HOME IN NJ!!!

Postby Kipepeo1969 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:08 pm

My inital lease (signed 3/1/2005) stated there was a no pet clause. I am no longer on a lease and have been paying month to month. I wanted a dog for a long time but was concerned about the rental situation. Two weeks ago one of my friends said her co worker had to ger rid of her dog, an 18 month yorkie/jack russell mix. She brought him home for me and we have been inseparable since. This morning my landlord's daughter saw Prince and I coming in from our morning walk. She told her dad :evil: and he came down to speak to me. I panicked and made up a story that I was "puppy-sitting" for a friend who would not be back until next week. He firmly stated that Prince had to go by next week since my "contract" said NO PETS :cry: .

The residency is a two family home with a small apartment behind the garage (where I live). I am not even sure if this is a legal apartment because whenever PSEG comes they have to wheel out my stove and I can not even get my own cable/internet service from COMCAST.

Can someone advise if I have any rights in this situation, since it is his private home.
Concerned Dog Owner
Kipepeo1969

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:53 pm

If your original lease said NO PETS - than that is it even if you are now only MTM. I would hurry-up and move because you don't want to have a bad record or bad references when you write out an application for a new apartment/home.
Iddabiddy35

Postby TenantNet » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:36 pm

What's with the ALL CAPS in the title?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Kipepeo1969 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:53 pm

It was just for severity. I really need help on this because we will be forced to move soon...
Concerned Dog Owner
Kipepeo1969

Postby Anna » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:09 pm

Did you read anything helpful here?: http://tenant.net/Other_Areas/Newjers/nj1htm.html

And try here: http://www.lsnjlaw.org/
Anna

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York