TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

noisy apartment

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

noisy apartment

Postby shrimpy » Thu May 16, 2002 1:09 pm

I live in a rent stablized apartment in NY city, the landlord recently installed a ventilation unit on the roof (on top of 18th fl), my apartment is on the 17th, and it makes loud throbbing noises day and night 24/7, it is in my living room myhallway, bathroom, kitchen and even in the bedroom at night when it's quite outside. we complain to the super since 4/8, and he did not do anything. I think I want to take the next step, but my boyfriend is afraid of landlord retaliation, we have a lovely apartment and do not want to have any trouble with the landlord (they are not very nice people). but I can not live with the noise either. what are my best options? I do not have a lot of faith in the DHCR. because one time I was physically threatened by the handyman (I filed a police report) and filed a compliant with the DHCR, they rejected the complian citing "isolated incidence". do they wait till some one get hurt or killed to take harassment compliants?

please help with your advise..thanks :confused:
shrimpy

Re: noisy apartment

Postby mbrenner » Tue May 28, 2002 3:03 pm

You could try to get the Department of
Environmental Protection there to take
measurements; if the noise levels are
above the legal limit (decible) then maybe
your landlord will get fined and he'll have to
do something about it.

Noise is one of the worst things to have. It's very difficult to fight this type of problem.

Good luck.
mbrenner

Return to NYC General Discussion