TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL won't spend money to make legitimate repairs

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

LL won't spend money to make legitimate repairs

Postby tsanchez » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:52 am

When the walls started to crack, I had the Super come in about 8 months ago to repair them. The super had a heart attack and could not finish. After bugging the LL and new super for months, I've finally gotten them in to finish the apt. After scrapping away the paint, it turns out the walls and ceiling are crumbling. The super's suggestion is to slap new plaster on it and a fresh coat of paint and call it done. When I pointed out that this stopgap solution would only last a few years at best, the super told me that the LL wouldn't spend the money to hang sheetrock. How or who do I contact to get this resolved?
tsanchez

Re: LL won't spend money to make legitimate repairs

Postby Downstairs Neigbor » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:11 pm

You should contact the Housing Department, but I think major repairs must be done by a lisenced contractor. This would presumably prevent them from caulking the walls with old bubble gum and elmer's.

Another option that you may want to consider is having the walls inspected by the Housing Department.

You can find your borough office HERE to make an appointment for an inspection or for additional information.

Good luck!
Don't say "Downstairs Neighbor told me so." Contact a lawyer.
Downstairs Neigbor

Re: LL won't spend money to make legitimate repairs

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:08 pm

Unfortunately tenants have little control over the quality of repairs. As long as the outter wall appears smooth, is relatively free of cracks, and is painted an even tone, that's about as much as the law seems to require.

Getting the LL to hang sheetrock is no picnic. Most likely he'll just nail it into the existing wall, spackle up the corners, and if you're lucky, replace the moulding around the edges. You're likely to lose a little bit of space in each direction which might cause problems around doors, windows, and other fixtures.

On the other hand, if your LL actually removes the existing cracked plaster, the amount of debris can be overwhelming and might even exacerbate any health problems.

The process can be incredbily time consuming for the tenant who has to move furntiure and protect any valuables. You might want to consider exactly what you;re asking for before you push this issue any further.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC General Discussion