TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

wisconsin, common area cleaning,can I sue?

Moderator: TenantNet

wisconsin, common area cleaning,can I sue?

Postby ozmliad » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:16 am

I was cleaning the common area for a year and a half, before I discovered, I wasnt responsible for the cleaning of it. Can I sue for janitorial services I provided?
ozmliad

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:04 pm

Would you define what you mean by 'common area?' Are you in an apartment building where you were cleaning the outside hallway/entrance way? Are you in roomming house where you have your own room but have a 'common area' like a kitchen/livingroom/tv room? Not knowing what your situation is, I would say you volunteered to do this on your own without asking the LL persmission to do it. If you like cleaning this common area you might ask the LL if he/she'd give you a rent reduction? But you have set a precident by doing this cleaning...so I doubt if you can sue. You took it upon yourself to do this cleaning without asking permission from the LL...
Iddabiddy35

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Question isn't if the T asked the LL for permission to clean (the way you express that makes no sense). The answer to the query may depend on specifics, but in general it sounds as if the tenant just took it upon him/herself to do it, and therefore has no claim of damages to the LL.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York