TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

New Building Construction Blocking my Once Great Views!!!

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

New Building Construction Blocking my Once Great Views!!!

Postby LIVE54 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:44 am

Hi ALL,

I was wondering if anyone can provide me with any information on the new building being built at 45 Park Avenue. I live down the street and this new building has completely blocked my Empire State Building views, both from my apartment as well as from our lovely common roof deck at the building. This new building is being built on the site of the old Sheraton Hotel. Does anyone know the zoning laws for this area, if it is a historic district or if there is any precedent to sue for blocked views?

Thanks
LIVE54

Postby TenantNet » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:31 am

Blocked view? Call us when your heat goes out.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Aubergine » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:55 am

The answer is no, there is no cause of action under NY law for a blocked view, absent an express covenant or easement.
Aubergine

Postby LIVE54 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:34 am

Thanks Aubergine for the reply.. I assumed as much, though I think I left out a critical point. The building to be erected at the site was approved to be a 16 story building, same as the previous building that was there. Though I heard from the construction guys in an informal "hey what are you building here" that a 21 story building was being built. I found out as much info as I could and everything filed with the city stated it to be 16 stories, so I didnt worry too much.

Well when I look out my window now i see the 21 stories completely blcoking my Empire state building view.. and the best part is the new building is touting its great view as a selling point..how does stuff like this happen with no record. Tell the public its a 16 story building so no one complains then last minute add on another 5 stories and tell everyone "my bad"
LIVE54

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:31 am

So how do you know what was approved was limited to 16 stories? Was that just rumor, or did you see the DOB permits or zoning changes?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby lofter1 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:06 pm

DOB shows a PERMIT for a NEW BUILDING issued on 4.17.2007: 21 Stories
lofter1

Postby dirae » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Most of these developers could give a toss about "safe and secure buildings". A lot of these mega buildings are being built under a community facility provision, which allows them to build higher than the zoning allows, under the premise that the building will provide some kind of space that benefits the people in the neighborhood. After the building is finished, it magically transforms into a luxury hotel or condos, with no community facility, and no penalties for the developer.
dirae

New Bulding Construction

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi All
And that includes the so called burbs. 21 stories eah........has anyone seen Flushing Queens :roll:
Emeraldstar

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC