TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord/ tenant Court

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord/ tenant Court

Postby phillytenant32 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:28 pm

I have a general question, I have to go to eviction court at the end of the month, basically what happened was my basement was flooded really bad because of a foundation problem that i was not aware of. There were a lot of items that were damaged and I was told that i would be compensated for the lost when this mess took place. I have yet to see anything from the LL and haven't heard anything from them, and the problem in the basement has not been fixed. So i decided to hold my rent in enscrow until the problem was resovled. I sent the LL a letter explaining why the rent was being withheld , and the only thing i got from them was a letter with a court date. I have video of my basement as well as footage of the water coming out fo the cracks in the wall.Would anyone have any idea if this hearing would be in my favor at all? Thanks. [/b]
phillytenant32

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Court papers would need to be properly served on you, and that depends on the law where you reside. Without rent regulation, you might have a hard time holding on to your apartment, but if the damage was sufficient, you could make a counterclaim and defense of the damages.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby phillytenant32 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:24 pm

TenantNet wrote:Court papers would need to be properly served on you, and that depends on the law where you reside. Without rent regulation, you might have a hard time holding on to your apartment, but if the damage was sufficient, you could make a counterclaim and defense of the damages.

I live in philadelphia and i have been served with papers already my pending court date is in the next 2 weeks.
phillytenant32

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York