TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

new offer enough?

Moderator: TenantNet

new offer enough?

Postby pashqua » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:52 pm

My building recently changed hands. My new landlord wants me out, with considerable time left on my lease. My present lease includes everything except electric. My new landlord has offered me another, nicer apt. at the same rent, but w/o heat/hw/gas. Should he make up the difference?
pashqua

first off

Postby dealing3000 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:14 pm

Tell the guy you are perfectly happy in your apartment, but that you would consider a move provided you were not negatively impacted in ANY WAY. This means he pays moving costs and any difference in rent/expenses. Your heat/hw/gas can be very expensive and is definitely part of the equation. I would first try to get it included in the rent and if this is not possible then maybe he will take a couple hundred off the rent each month to account for this added expense. Given you have a lease you don't have to do a thing. That being said, if you PO the LL they may decide not to renew your lease at the end. For the time being you are in a position of power and can use this to possibly get a better place for less. Good luck
dealing3000

New offer

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Hi All
Agreed with above. Also get a new lease for the same time frame as you would have gotten if renewed. Make sure your advantages are clearly stated in lease. Politely say when the new signed lease by LL is in your hands you will move into the new apt. immediatly. Good Luck :D
Emeraldstar

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York