TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Reverse noise problem

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Reverse noise problem

Postby jellycarroll » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:58 pm

I live in a 1950's building with very solid walls, but very thin wood floors. My lease stipulates that 90% of the floor must be covered with furniture, carpeting, etc. which I have complied with since I moved in 5 1/2 years ago. I do not own a television or a stereo nor do I play any sort of musical instrument, but nonetheless I have just received a notice from my landlord stating that management has received complaints from the tenant below me regarding excessive noise. The floors do tend to squeak and occasionally while walking around the apt my footsteps will ilicit a loud pounding from my downstairs neighbor. Please note I weigh 110 lbs. This is the second time in 5 1/2 years my neighbor has initiated complaints against me and the bldg mgmt has begun to threaten legal action. Am I really in danger of eviction based on the unproven, unreasonable word of another tenant? What should I do?
jellycarroll

Re: Reverse noise problem

Postby Chimera » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:51 pm

I had the exact same problem a number of years ago. The tenant below me took it upon himself to continually harrass me by making numerous complaints to the management. Management automatically sent out letters to me threatening legal action whenever they recieved a complaint. I contacted them and explained that I was not making noise, and they saw that I was complying with the floor covering rule. After making dozens of phone calls complaining about the letters, they just stopped, and my neighbor evenutally disappeared. Your neighbor has only complained twice in 5 years, that's not so bad! I wouldn't worry about getting evicted at this point. They would have to take you to court first and prove that you are creating a 'nuisance.' Just be sure to respond to their letters in writing, and mention that the complaints are unfounded and that you have at least 90% of your floor covered (return receipt requested.) Good luck.
Chimera

Re: Reverse noise problem

Postby Lilly » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:49 pm

Send certified letter, return receipt, to LL advising him that your wood floors squeak loudly when you walk on them. You might also want to add that you do not wear shoes in the apartment and that you do not own a stereo or television and that you don't have any guests over.
Lilly

Return to NYC General Discussion