TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

demanding signature for lease renewal at door

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

demanding signature for lease renewal at door

Postby daphnethegoldfish » Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:51 pm

My super delivered my lease renewal form to my door but said he was instructed by the LL that I had to sign it right away - I was not allowed to take it and look it over for 60 days. Furthermore he said that I would get a copy for my self only after I had signed the LL's copy. The lease he offered me was incorrect so I told the super to inform the LL that he needs to send me a corrected one to sign. Now the super is saying the LL might not send me a new one at all. My question is this: Is a demand for a signature at the door on a lease renewal form illegal or just unethical, and if I refuse to sign a lease which I believe to have a discrepancy but ask for a corrected one (or at least an explanation for the disputed item) is it considered a refusal to sign?
daphnethegoldfish

Re: demanding signature for lease renewal at door

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:01 pm

Is this a rent stabilized apt.? I note that you posted this msg. in the rent regulation forum, and I replied to it there. If it is not rent-stabilized I would give you a totally different answer.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Re: demanding signature for lease renewal at door

Postby daphnethegoldfish » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:11 pm

thank you for your reply in the other forum - yes my apartment is rent stablized.
daphnethegoldfish

Return to NYC General Discussion