TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Trying to sublet, roommates reject every candidate

Moderator: TenantNet

Trying to sublet, roommates reject every candidate

Postby jsusanc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:43 pm

I'm a student in Atlanta trying to sublet my room in a 3 br house. Myself and two friends started the 1 year lease in August, but living there didn't work out for me. I am having trouble paying rent, which is why I'm trying to find a replacement. I've been trying to find someone to replace myself as a subtenant, but my roommates reject every candidate. The reasons they reject candidates have been absurd sometimes. The last person they rejected was "nice, but into sports and we're not" according to the two roommates. Other times I've been told "you definitely found the right 'kind' of personality, just not the specific person we'd like." Their extensive list of requirements for a potential roommate also keeps changing and growing. One of the requirements is that the subletter must smoke pot! I want to replace myself with a good person, I've even found people that meet all of their many requirements, but they've all been rejected. What can I do in this situation?
jsusanc

Postby lofter1 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:04 am

Is your name on the lease?

Do you have a written Roommate Agreement with your-co-occupants?
lofter1

Postby jsusanc » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Yes, my name is on the lease, and we do not have a written Roommate Agreement.
jsusanc

Postby queensborough » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Are any of their names also on the lease? If so, let them find someone since they seem to be rejecting everyone you bring in. Tell them that they have to be more flexible, not everyone likes sports, not everyone likes to watch TV or listen to the same music, etc. They are being very unreasonable. Give them a date your moving out, and tell them to choose a roommate because you're not staying past that date.
queensborough

Postby jsusanc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:22 am

My name is on the lease as well as the names of the other two people living there.

There is no written Roommate Agreement.
jsusanc

Postby queensborough » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:13 pm

You are co-tenants, not roommates since all of your names are on the lease. How did you set up the rent payments to the LL? Do you each pay a third individually or do you write one check? Is anything written in the lease regarding how payment is made to the LL?

In most instances each tenant is responsible to the LL for the rent. If you leave before before the lease term expires, you would still be responsible to your co-tenants for your share of the rent.
queensborough

Postby JohnMI » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 pm

Have you discussed this with your Landlord? I would talk to them about the situation. Especially since your lease likely says that the LL needs to approve subleasors too -- which is probably much more important than your (weird) roommates approving someone.

Mention to your LL that your roommates are trying to include a "must smoke pot" clause in your choices -- see what they have to say to your roommates about that!

Finally, does your lease have a "jointly and severally" clause?

- John...
[I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Your mileage may vary. Look both ways before crossing.]
JohnMI

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York