TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Unbearable apt. need help.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Unbearable apt. need help.

Postby John172 » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:32 pm

I live in a rent stablized apartment in NYC and it gets very hot in the summer because I don't have air conditioning. The apartment is old and the wiring cannot handle the needs of an air conditioner. Has anyone been in a similar situation and understand what are the landlord's obligations to allow air conditioning? Thank you for your advice.
John172

Re: Unbearable apt. need help.

Postby eastsidah » Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:01 pm

LL has no obligation to do so.
eastsidah

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:02 pm

Unfortunately a lot of older apartment buildings in New York City just can't handle modern day appliances. There are some low power consumption air conditioners that may be usable in older buildings so you really have to check your lines against various models.

Unfortunately Landlords are under no obligation to update wiring. . It's one of those situations where the tenant really needs to check these things before you rent an apartment.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Lilly » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:35 pm

you buy a small, 5000 btu Friedrich or Fedders for the bedroom and use fans for the other rooms. You also install black-out shades(the kind that roll up) in all the East, West, South facing windows to keep the sun/heat out during the day.
Lilly

Return to NYC General Discussion