TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sisters in the hospital and the landlord is on my case!

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Sisters in the hospital and the landlord is on my case!

Postby mLeroux » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Hello all,

Well my sister is in the hospital (been there a week). The rent was due on Friday and her landlord is calling me now and telling me to go there and get her stuff because the Dr. has not given her a release date. She has no lease and is paying month to month. I have read that if he wants to evict her he has to give her one month notice and then proceed with evicting her through court. I had told him he would have to go to court to evict her because he was talking of changing the locks. Now he's saying, "ok, just come get her things out." He's an old man and I feel bad for him but, my sister is an adult (older than me at that) and I told him she's not my daughter. My sister has said she would pay him when she gets out thats not good enough for him though, he wants to know WHEN.

So besides blocking his number on my phone what can be done? Is being in the hospital not considered a special situation? What would the man do if he did not have me to complain to?

Thank,
M
mLeroux

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:49 pm

Are we talking a nursing home situation, or a situation where the tenant is essentially terminal and not expected to recover and return to the premises? Some of those situations may involve complicated legal issues. Or is this just a situation where she is expected to recover and otherwise return to the apartment?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby mLeroux » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm

No, my sister is nearing her mid 40's and will be probably going home in about 2 weeks at most 3 the way I see it. I spoke to the housing headquarters in Queens and I was told that the only thing he can do is give her a 30 day notice to move out (since there is no contract) and then go to court to file to get her evicted if she's still there after that. He's just really impatient at not having any information as to when she's coming out.

M
mLeroux

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Using terms like "Housing Headquarters" can mean any number of different things, so it's important to be precise.

However, I would agree with the assessment you got. Make certain he knows he can't just change the locks - that would be a criminal and civil offense. And if the rent is paid, that's really all he has to worry about. What would he do is she took a two week vacation. That (and the hospital stay) is none of his business.

TenantNet

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Please change your user name to something other than your real name or email address. We say this when you register for the forum.

Also, your email address is listed as inactive (and mail bounces back). You should use a working email address or your account might get bumped.

TenantNet

Postby queensborough » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm

Is there any way she could write a check for the rent and you could either give it to him or mail it to him since getting his rent is apparently what he is concerned about.
queensborough

Postby mLeroux » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm

I've updated my email address....thanks TenantNet

Queensborough- Yeah, I was thinking of doing something like that, if worse came to worse. I think I might hold out until she comes out though as she might soon.

Thanks for the replies

M
mLeroux

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments