TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

excessive heat and pet in heart failure

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

excessive heat and pet in heart failure

Postby Janea » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Hello,
I know this may sound a little odd but my landlord has the heat on a timer set at 72 degrees F. Subsequently, my apt gets very hot. I've let him know about this and he suggests opening the windows (which I already do) but this really has no effect. My cat is in heart failure and I am afraid that the excessive heat will push her over the edge. I've invested a substantial amount of money for veterinary care and meds and will be heartbroken if the excessive heat contributes to her death. When I spoke to the landlord about this, he laughed. If anyone has advice on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. This kitty has been with me through thick and thin for approximately 15 years. I feel it is my duty to make sure she passes with no suffering or pain as opposed to because of a sweltering apartment that renders her in respiratory distress.

Thank you.
Janea

Postby TenantNet » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:51 pm

There have been a few cases where a LL kept the heat on in the middle of the summer resulting in the apartment being in the mid-90's.

But 72 degrees is not sweltering.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Janea » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 pm

72 may not be excessive, unless you live in a small one bedroom on the second floor with no cross ventilation...there is a building blocking 3 of the 6 windows I have and 2 of the windows I can't leave open for safety reasons (the fire escape is located there) and one of the windows has a very old AC he didn't want removed, so I can't open that window. I should be able to sleep comfortably in an apartment I pay rent for and I shouldn't have to worry about my pets because as he put it, "I like to give heat".
Janea

Postby queensborough » Tue May 04, 2010 6:34 am

Is there anyway you can shut off the radiator (if you have one) or heat source in your apartment?
queensborough

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues