TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I don't want to pay the broker fee!

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

I don't want to pay the broker fee!

Postby pax » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi, my wife and I just signed a lease on an apartment

When we signed the landlord said he'd spoken with the broker (who was charging 1 month broker fee) and said he'd pay 1/2 the brokerage fee himeself. He said as we didn't have much money we should pay what we could afford (he suggested a few hundred dollars).

So we signed and now he's said that the broker is unhappy and wants more than a few hundred dollars - maybe $1000! I have no idea what was agreed between the broker and the landlord now...probably I should have worked all this out before signing :(

Anyway, I'm not happy paying $1000 for a number of reasons
1) We found the apartment on craigslist for $50 less advertised by the landlord so the broker got us a bad deal
2) The broker didn't bother turning up the first time we were supposed to meet him.
3) the broker did about 1hr work!

My wife initialled something when she met up with the broker the first time (but didn't read what it was...grrrr) but I'm tempted to tell him we'll only pay him maybe 10% of the month rent.

What happens if I do that? I don't want to end up in court :)
pax

Postby lofter1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:35 am

You're not giving us enough information. It depends what the signed paperwork states. Ask for a copy from the broker or landlord (assuming your wife didn't make a copy after signing -- and let that a lesson for the future: Copy EVERYTHING you sign).
lofter1

Postby pax » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:00 am

Yep - a lesson learnt :( I'm going to request a copy when I speak to him today. I'm a bit confused to how negotiable the broker fee is now we've signed - any ideas on that?
pax

You don't owe a dime to the broker if....!

Postby TJHillgardner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 pm

You do not owe him a dime unless you signed a writing wherein you promised to pay a broker fee and specifying the amount of the broker fee. Moreover, as a tenant it should be your position that the amount of the broker fee you pay is not a matter up for discussion after the lease has been signed. If you got the lease signed without ever agreeing in writing to pay a broker fee, you would be a fool to entertain the subject at this point. Finally, what are you doing paying broker's fees in the present economic environment? Is this some really exclusive deal? Broker's fees are so 2007!
TJHillgardner

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues