TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Illegal homeless shelter in apartment building?

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Illegal homeless shelter in apartment building?

Postby jkgal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:59 am

There's a guy running a de facto rooming house in a small apartment building in NYC. He has NYCHA Section 8 and charges homeless/ semi-homeless people to stay there. It's also a bit of a drug and sex den. It's horrible. One NYPD cop said it's a LL/ tenant issue, they can't really do anything - more than one report has been made to NYPD over many months to zip results. I'm sure this must be illegal. LL is a bit slow to act, but is moving somewhat. Safety issues/ security breaches/ yelling/ broken doors/ drugs - what's another tenant to do?
jkgal

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi All
jkgal this is just something to think about.
If no one has set up a payment/ filmed a payment there is nothing confirm. I would think it's a NYCHA issue since it would affect income however be careful with the alligation.
The best the LL may be able to do is put a camera in the hall to see the comings & goings then it would be LL's call what to do. $ may be the issue with LL dragging their feet.
As for the police ask to speak with the Commanding Officer and phrase it as a tip/address/apt # that you wish for them to pass on to the drug enforcement unit. Leave the sex out since your not in the apt & may sound hyper vigiliant. If hanky panky is going on in hall it's back to the LL. :wink:
Emeraldstar

Postby jkgal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response. I was actually 'watching' this topic, but my tenant.net notification went to SPAM, so I didn't realize there'd been a reply.

I, and other tenants, have been basically begging the LL to get some security cameras in the building, but nothing's happening so far. One of the homeless guys confirmed to another tenant (yes, I know, hearsay) that the guy charges him to stay there. Now, he's got a regular 'tenant' every night, who enters around 11 PM and then is out by around 7 AM. Meanwhile, there's other drug activity in the building - with threats of violence to a tenant who owes money and actual violence to the aforementioned rooming-house guy (he got beat up the other morning). Meanwhile, we who live around these guys are really sitting ducks.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

jkgal
jkgal

Postby jkgal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know how to proceed if LL isn't doing anything as re: Building security? For example, the building has a broken front-door lock, no cameras, no NYPD F-Tap buiilding as promised, the 'street' has keys to the building, constant drug traffic all night, threats, feces in hallway, etc., etc., etc.

Can I do an HPD suit and have HPD (or whomever) take note of the security and cleanliness issues and demand that they are fixed? My neighbor got a DHCR rent reduction for decreased services, or something like that. However, LL didn't show, he won by default. I'm thinking LL will just move to vacate the default. LL doesn't seem to show to any court proceeding that tenant's brought (he's won more than one by default).....

I have NYCHA Section 8, by the way, have not paid January rent (my share) and informed LL I'd be looking into my 'legal options'.

Any responses will be appreciated!!

Best, jkgal
jkgal

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues