TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security Deposit Issues

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Security Deposit Issues

Postby occarbs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:50 am

My former landlord just sent me a notice that he's keeping most of my security deposit for the following repairs. Two of us lived there 2 years, with the only noticeable wear and tear being black rings on the stove burners. Isn't the repainting his responsibility? What resources that can give me real answers does anyone know of? Thank you!

Painting 600.00
Paint 80.00
Floor sealer and polyurethane coat : labor 400.00
(brushes, mineral spirits, etc)
Sealer 20.00
Polyurethane 60.00
New Stove 430.00

TOTAL 1590.00
occarbs

Postby TenantNet » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 am

Painting - and all the supplies listed - are part of the LLs responsibility. Painting is done for normal wear and tear. If there are damages, then he can charge for that, but it must be legitimate.

A new stove is also his responsibility unless you damaged the old one. Anything in the unit will eventually wear out over time with normal usage. That is what rent is for. If you used the stove for something it was not intended, then perhaps damages can be claimed. But if you just lived there, then all that should not come out of the deposit.

Unfortunately you will probably have to sue him in small claims court to get your deposit. This is why some tenants withhold the last month's rent if they expect the LL to play games like this.

If you had a walk-through, took photos, and had witnesses, then your position would be stronger.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues