TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rented basement

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Rented basement

Postby fanhuus » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:55 pm

I've lived in a 2-family house in Queens for about a year. And I just found out from the city housing department, that the house is registered for 2 families only. However, the landlord rented the basement to a 3rd family. Will he be punished for anything if this illegal rental is reported to the city department?

Since I share the same electricity meter with basement people, the landlord asks us to break the bill. Now that the basement rental is illegal, does that mean I don't have to pay for the bill?

Thanks!
fanhuus

Re: Rented basement

Postby ChrisG » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:41 am

yes, he will get in trouble if it gets out. and there is not really supposed to be any situation in which tenants 'split' utility bills. that's a red flag that says he doesn't have his act together. it is your right as a tenant to only pay for your own utilities. in those situations the LL should pay for the utilities, at the very least.
ChrisG

Postby lappert » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:31 am

The Queens Borough President has a task force on such illegal rentals -- call the QBP office. Call Con Ed on the metering situation.
lappert

Postby fanhuus » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:04 pm

Originally posted by Fred Lappert:
The Queens Borough President has a task force on such illegal rentals -- call the QBP office. Call Con Ed on the metering situation.
Thanks for your advice. I found information on Queens Borough President's website about the task force. However, they only have very basic information and the phone numbers provided are not correct. Even I got through the Department of Buildings, people there seemed not really helping.
fanhuus

Return to NYC General Discussion