TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Electricity is extremely high and landlord will not let

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Electricity is extremely high and landlord will not let

Postby seb » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:36 pm

I received a monthly bill from Con Edison, which seemed much too high, about $200. It was an estimated bill so I called Con Edison to give an actual reading and they told me that the bill would be even higher, $300. I live in a modest one bedroom apartment and use my electricity for lights, tv, a computer, fridge, nothing unusual. My previous bill was $46.00. I asked my landlord if he could figure out the problem and he said that his bills were high too, and it was just too bad. He also said that he didn't want Con Edison to come check the electrical wiring/meter, b/c they didn't want Con Ed to see the construction that's occurring in their basement. I would like this resolved and not have to pay $300/ month in electric bills. Is my landlord allowed to prevent Con Ed from inspecting the meter? How do I go about fixing this problem?
seb

Re: Electricity is extremely high and landlord will not let

Postby Lilly » Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:23 pm

Hate to break it to your LL but the meter is Con-Eds property. YOu call Con-Ed and try to make a definate appointment with them so they can come look at the meter. Your LL is most certainly ripping you off for electricity. Here's a little test: unplug EVERYTHING in your apartment. Then go look at the meter-if it's still moving, there's your answer. Here's the link for the Department of Building web site-look around for the on-line complaint form.
http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dob/home.html
Lilly

Postby tiredsecy » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:21 pm

And be home to let Con Ed in that day as the LL certainly won't.
tiredsecy

Postby Chimera » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:29 pm

Have you been receiving estimated bills for several months? That is a possible reason for your bill to seem so high this month. It is possible that Con-Ed has been estimating your bills for less than you have been using, and now that you've finally called in the reading they are bringing you up to date with a hefty $300 charge. If this is the case your next bill should be lower.

<small>[ March 20, 2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Chimera ]</small>
Chimera

Return to NYC General Discussion