TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease ends in 1 month, haven't received renewal

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease ends in 1 month, haven't received renewal

Postby sleepnessnight » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey everyone,

My lease is up Nov. 1 of this year, and as of today (Sept. 21) I have yet to receive a lease renewal form or anything from the management company. (Been in same apt. for 3 years.)
I did call them this week and left a voicemail saying that I haven't received my renewal form yet, but haven't heard back yet. (Supposedly they are 'required' to send you some form or renewal or termination at least 60 days prior to lease expiration, right?)

My questions are:
-If I don't hear back from them, can they evict me on Nov. 1 without warning? Or do they give me an additional 30 days to find a place?
-I already paid first, last and security deposit, so would I get my security deposit back, or can they hold it against me? Also, would my last month's check which I paid when I originally signed the lease be for Oct. or Nov.?

-Since they didn't send me a renewal lease or anything, I can use this against them in trying to sign another 1 year lease with no rent increase?

-Finally, do you suggest that I keep trying to contact them about this situation, or should I just wait it out?

Thanks in advance; any information would be extremely helpful.
sleepnessnight

Postby queensborough » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Is your apartment rent stabilized? The laws are different if it is.
queensborough

Postby sleepnessnight » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:02 pm

No, it's not rent stabilized. I initially signed a 2 year lease, then last year renewed for 1 year at the same rent price. (last year, a 2 year renewal would have increased the rent price, so i went with 1 year only.)

Thanks
sleepnessnight

Postby TenantNet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:52 pm

Well, then you have no protections. If not stabilized, there's no requirement to send you any renewal at any time. What you heard is for rent stab units.

If the lease expires without a new lease, then you become a month-to-month tenant. As long as the LL doesn't want you out, then that's OK.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments