TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Stressed for space.

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Stressed for space.

Postby Cazmia » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi,

I live in a 5 unit bulding in Bronx, New York. I have had a plumbing problem for over a year in my bathroom and the LL has finally sent a plumber after my ceiling fell and the downstairs neighbors (in the converted bsmt apt below me) had the city turn the water off.

OK. They take out my bathtub, knock down my wall and leave me that way for 2 weeks. I had to move ALL MY TOILETRIES out of my bathroom into my bedroom, because he said he needed space to work and for his tools. This has made my life very difficult, but I dealt with it.

NOW, he is telling me he is coming back tomorrow morning and casually throws in that he wants me to clear my kitchen which shares a downed wall with the bathroom AND my bedroom, because the neighbors are complaining about a leak from the radiator there, too.

My question is, how can I live this way?? WHERE are all my belongings supposed to go?? I asked him the same questions and he said he doesn't know, all that matters is that it gets done.

He says it all has to happen NOW because he has to pay the plumber every single time he comes to my place. I wokr full time. I do not have the energy or space to devote to pushing my virtual entire apartment into one room and living ina state of discord this way. I need organiztion to be presentable for work!

Any suggestions?
Cazmia

Postby Cazmia » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 pm

I should also mention that my LL has had me without cold water (only hot) for 10 days. I have to flush my toilet by carrying buckets of water and dumping them in. You can see into my bathroom through my kitchen so we have no privacy.

I sincerely believe this man is trying to get me out of my place and thinks he might acomplish that by destroying the quality of life here.

By forcing me to move my stuff around, it has created an untidy situation and he may try to call a building inspector or the board of health if I keep moving belongings and block a fire escape or window.
Cazmia

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:59 pm

You posted under non-regulated apartments. If your apartment isn't rent stabilized or rent controlled, then the landlord doesn't need to force you out. He can simply not renew your lease when its up.

This converted apartment in the basement sounds illegal. Have you called DHCR to confirm that your apartment is unregulated?

http://nysdhcr.gov/AboutUs/contact.htm
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments