TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Any Popular Landlord Rating Websites?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Any Popular Landlord Rating Websites?

Postby arcticranger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:53 pm

is there a ratings website for Manhattan or NYC landlords that is actually used by people seeking rentals?

My previous landlord runs two businesses in the same brownstone, a major city-funded tutoring service for disadvantaged children and two separate male prostitution services. I'm talking meth-head rentboys and their johns rubbing shoulders with ten year old kids.

She loves to be interviewed by New York Magazine, NY1 and the Observer for her altruistic efforts.

In the meantime 6-7 older people near the building have been attacked and beaten by these rentboys. Needless to say the NYPD has done nothing.

I think this is all fair game to report online to help people avoid the hell I went through.

Any suggestions?
arcticranger

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Consider libel and defamation laws. You have to be very careful in making such accusations. What you've indicated is not the same thing as not getting heat or hot water.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Are you saying

Postby arcticranger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Are you saying that heat and hot water is a legit issue and being physically attacked by junkies in my hallway is not?
arcticranger

Postby TenantNet » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 am

Reread what I said - and settle down. If you were attacked, that's a fact. You did make a police report, yes?

Saying the LL is running male prostitutes could embroil you in a defamation suit. So what I said is, be careful who you make accusations about, and what is said. Don't let your emotions get you into trouble.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

cathouse landlord

Postby arcticranger » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 am

I agree with that and would have to stick to documented facts on the building and the LLs performance.

I'm amazed at what new york city tenants put up with. I have to assume a lot of people are just behind on their rent and afraid to make a peep. I have certainly been there.

Anyway, I'm incensed not insane, still looking for a LL rating site.

Thanks for the fair warning.
arcticranger

Postby ronin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:16 am

You really have no proof that she owns the "rentboys" and in fact, may be afraid to deny them access for fear of being called homophobic.

If you can find some evidence that she is running a whorehouse in a school then you really have a major story and ratings websites just won't do. But if you are making it up you're in big trouble. Truth is the ultimate counter to defamation liability.

Catch her on video pimping the rentboys and then you can just show that to various media and that will be all the ratings you need.
ronin

Return to NYC General Discussion