TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

The right to refuse giving keys & having exterminator?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

The right to refuse giving keys & having exterminator?

Postby nyctenant384 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Do I have the right to refuse to give my keys if I change my door lock to the landlord? What about the right to refuse exterminators coming in? I am in a regular renting situation.
nyctenant384

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi All
To the best of my knowledge if the LL makes the request for keys one has to provide them. Many people have their own locks & the LL does not ask. Search the forum since there are many posts on the topic.
As for an exterminator I'm not aware that it's a forced service, in my bld it has to be requested by the tenant. I would think if there is a bld infestation issue the LL would have to notify everyone. If it's something like bed bugs it may be best for all to allow access.
Emeraldstar

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Do you not want the LL or any workmen to enter at all, ever? If there's something you don't want them to see, perhaps it can be hidden or camouflaged. Allowing them entrance does not give the right to search everything like closets, under beds and so on.

Or do you wish to have control over any situation where they are allowed to enter, so you can watch the workmen to make sure they don't lift anything.

With some LLs, it might be better to defuse the situation, else they will ratchet things up. If you agree to some level of access they might not demand keys.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby nyctenant384 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 pm

I'd be happy to allow them access when I am there but it's uncomfortable for me to have people in my place possibly snooping around my home and stuff when I am not there.
nyctenant384

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 am

Look at the access rules on the forum's reference section, plus search the forum ... we've discussed this a lot.

I see it as a negotiation, not only the key situation but also the advance notice requirements. Your desire is common.

Even if they have the keys they do not have permission to enter your apartment without your permission unless there is a bonafide emergency.

If the LL wants access for certain repairs, you can offer him a number of times and dates when you can be there to let his people in. Be accommodating and yes, if might involve daytime during work hours forcing you to be there. Or you can have a friend/relative be there. The point I was making is there are many approaches to solving the problem before the LL goes into court and a judge orders you to hand over keys.

TenantNet

Postby ronin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:14 am

Look at the access rules on the forum's reference section, plus search the forum ... we've discussed this a lot.

Yeah, like a few weeks ago. I thought this was the same thread with my comments on lock cylinders!
ronin

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:00 am

Ronin, it's just a popular topic. I would bet Mitt Romney's $10,000 that it will come up again by February 1st.

TenantNet

Postby ronin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:24 am

LOL. We will see in one more day I guess.

(I still suspect its like the second cat in the Matrix- a glitch in the system)
ronin

Return to NYC General Discussion