TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Building Super

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Building Super

Postby JaneB82 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Does a building super have the right to come into your apartment anytime he likes when you are out?

It is particularly disturbing and uncomfortable (feels unsafe) when the tenant is a female living on her own (and the super seems to around the entrance and the tenant's door too often for comfort).

Does the tenant have the right to change the lock even though it is a sublet?

Does the tenant not have the right to insist that the super give notice before coming into the apartment?
JaneB82

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 pm

To start, look at the access rules in the forum's Reference Section. Then search for other posts on this subject. It's been discussed MANY times. The short answer is No. They must give notice.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby JaneB82 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:06 pm

TenantNet wrote:To start, look at the access rules in the forum's Reference Section. Then search for other posts on this subject. It's been discussed MANY times. The short answer is No. They must give notice.

I did do a search and only found posts/info about landlord access. Thanks.

I suppose I was hoping to elaborate on the subject in general, for example how common is this problem for other women, etc, etc.
JaneB82

Postby Emeraldstar » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi All
Just my speculation here but I'm wondering if the reason your seeing the super so much is the sublet. Is it possiable they are searching for something on the lease holder? Is the apt. RS and is it close to the two year mark of sublet out of every 4 years? If so would the super be looking to see if the lease holder returned? As for changing the lock I would talk to the lease holder and see if the keys are in the super's posession. If not that's one concern out of the way.
Emeraldstar

Postby ronin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:25 am

Deja vu again...

Well, gee. The super is the LL in this context. It's not as if super's are supposed to be there on their own business.

I still can't find my brilliant lock cylinder strategy in this thread. What happened to that thread with it?!?!?!?
ronin

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:40 am

Hi All
Yes ronin, the super in my speculation would be acting on LL's behalf. That said, just a share, my bld had a super who minded apts on his own behalf & was in charge of renting. Rumor had it key money was 5k. Fact was apts ended up to be full of people & NPR in the long run. Whatever happened to piss off LL resulted in super termination with union reps hands tied in agreement. And just to give all a chuckle, floating card games were not uncommon & I hear are still in other blds. :lol:
Emeraldstar

Return to NYC General Discussion