TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Noise; Children playing in apartment hallway

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Noise; Children playing in apartment hallway

Postby jronysko » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:33 pm

I live on a floor with 3 families who see fit to allow their 6 children to play in the hallway. And by 'play' I mean all out 3 on 3 soccer matches. These children are literally screaming outside my front door and kicking balls against it. In addition to the excessive noise, they frequently leave toys scattered in the hallway, and blocking the fire exits. They also frequently destroy the overhead lights in the hallway, as a result of hitting them with balls.

I've been unable to get the real estate office or the legal office that manages this building to take any action. I'm dumbfounded. There is excessive noise, safety issues, probable fire code violations, and destruction of property going on.

Any advice on a next course of action? All suggestions greatly appreciated.
jronysko

Re: Noise; Children playing in apartment hallway

Postby Phil Cohen » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:51 pm

This is a really lousy situation, as there is usually little recourse when you have a neighbor who is basically just a shit--inconsiderate--but who pays his or her rent. One thing that makes this situation particularly awful is that it is not one but THREE shits who are causing you problems. Assuming you are the only other tenant--that means you have no allies to help you.
The only practical recourse that I can see is that you move or ask the management company to move you to a different dwelling. Yes, you can pursue all kinds of legal actions but, particularly in NYC, they are not likely to be too useful at the end of the day.
Maybe somebody else has a more optimistic reply, I hope.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby jronysko » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:00 pm

Unfortunately, there are politics involved as well. My wife is a resident doctor and we live in hospital owned housing. We happen to live on a floor with a few VIP doctors, who happen to be the same people we are complaining about. Needless to say, it appears the administration would rather shit on one of it's lowly residents than tell a few VIP's their children can't play in the hallways and destroy property. There are a couple of other tenants on the floor, but they are not comfortable speaking up, so I am alone in my complaint. In fact, my wife is even a little fearful that my complaints will somehow come back to hurt her career at the hospital.

I have asked that they pay to move us to a different apartment, but they laughed at that idea. As a last resort, I guess we could find the money to move ourselves, but aside from the time, money, and inconvience, I am against this idea on principle. I am at the point where I must weigh my principles against living with the inconsiderate neighbors for the next 2 years though. This is why I'm seeking a legal recourse as a last hope.
jronysko

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:15 pm

Confuzed said:
Any idea as to whether tenants have the right to 'enjoy' a public hallway?
Please see 'Noise; Children playing in apartment hallway' in the General Discussion forum.
I guess if there's one way to hinder your wife's career at this hospital, it would be by sueing the VIP doctors over their children's behavior.

No tenants do not have the right to "enjoy" the public areas in the same way they do their apartments, but what happens in the hallway is usually a tenant-management issue.

Not likely that the management company would pay you to move either. Probably your smartest move to be to ask if there are apartments available in a quieter part of the building and eat the cost of moving.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby HAJ77 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:24 pm

Have you talked to their parents about the problem? We all know parents can be in denial about how much noise their children make or how it bothers other people. We'll assume that you have and it did not work since you're pursuing legal action. Chances are legal action wouldn't work, they would portray you as the neighborhood grinch trying to ruin childhood, plus it sounds as if they have more than enough $$ for an extended legal battle.

Personally, I'd make a tape recording of the noise, then play it back very loudly from 3-5am every morning or possibly something even more devious. They annoy you, so why not annoy them right back.
HAJ77

Postby jronysko » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:30 pm

Yes, I have talked to the parents, repeatedly. Yes, they are using the "but they're just children and they need to play" defense. And yes, they are wealthy, self-entitled, and oblivious to other people's rights.

Funny you should mention fighting noise with noise. I'm considering opening my door and blasting my stereo into the hall when they are out there. Or maybe I can pitch golf balls up and down the hallway. I figure if management is OK with the kids being disruptive and destructive, they can't stop me from doing the same.
jronysko

Postby Phil Cohen » Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:48 pm

Yes, but then you go from being in the right to being in the wrong.
Based on your description of the circumstances, the VIP docs and all that, I really don't see much in the way of redress here.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC General Discussion