TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

ending my lease early

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

ending my lease early

Postby mikesg8 » Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:42 am

Hello,

I have been living in the same non rent stabelized/controlled apt for the past 3+ years. My current lease is due to expire on June 30th. 3 weeks ago, I informed my landlord that I would like to break my lease as of May 1st, giving him 2+ months of notice. He wasn't thrilled, but he seems to be going along with it, and says he is showing my apartment and hopes to have it rented for when I move out. My only worry is that he may try to hold on to my security deposit if he isn't able to rent it for immediately after I move out.

Do I have any right to my security deposit if I broke my lease? Does it matter how much advanced notice I gave him? Should I just not pay my last months rent in order to avoid having to get my security deposit back? If I did that would he have the right to take me to court (and would he win).

My landlord and I have a pretty good relationship, and we have never had a problem, so I don't anticipate one now. I just wanted to know what the worst case scenario is. Thanks for any help.
mikesg8

Re: ending my lease early

Postby <rallph> » Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:28 pm

No if you are Not living in the apartment after June 30th and you gave the landlord back the keys, your rent stops....PERIOD!

You will have to sue the landlord in small claims court for your deposit back as he has 30 days to inform you as to the damages, of course if someone moves in on July 1st....how could there be any damages...right?
<rallph>

Re: ending my lease early

Postby <ralllph> » Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:31 pm

If you wanted to move out early then you would have to help the landlord find new tenants.....the landlord cannot collect rent from BOTH you and a new tenant.

But he would still have 30 days to asses any damage.

and NO you cannot use the security for last months rent, thats what last months rent is for, not security...........UNLESS the landlord agrees to it.
<ralllph>

Return to NYC General Discussion