TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

New owner of 2 family unit wants me the tenant out

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

New owner of 2 family unit wants me the tenant out

Postby Werdyo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 am

I have lived in the rental unit of a two family house for 6 years. I haven't had a lease for the last 2 years. The owner lives in the other unit.

The owner just sold to a buyer. The buyer put in an offer on the condition that I move out. The owner agreed.

I have requested delaying my vacancy until December 1st. So far it sounds like nobody likes that idea except me.

There is some personal background drama, but I don't think it affects this question: what is the most severe thing they can get away with? If I decide to stay until December 1 regardless of their wishes, what can they legally do? If they evict me, how long does that give me to move out? Do I have any rights as a tenant without a lease with a new buyer/owner? Can they forcibly ,legally move my possessions out of my home?
Werdyo

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 am

You're not rent stabilized, and you have no lease, so you have no protections per se.

However, to get you out, they must comply with proper notice requirements for month-to-month tenants (30 days written notice). See the Reference section of the forum. For example, if you got written notice today, it would not be effective until October 1st.

I'd also look at your old lease as the M2M lease should incorporate all terms of the old lease.

Do get a delay, you can stay and be taken to court (and be aware of the blacklist). If you gave a good tenant attorney, they can often negotiate additional time. There can be no eviction without a court order.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Werdyo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Thank you for the reply!

Can I infer that when written notice is given, I have 30 days plus however many days until the end of the month? So if they don't give written notice until September 3rd, then I have until November 1st?

Thank you again for your time.
Werdyo

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:12 pm

That is my understanding that it would be effective on the first of the month after the 30 day period. But you might want to get independent confirmation of that.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments