TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

broken elevators

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

broken elevators

Postby cathy b » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:01 pm

Is there some law that can ensure/require that the landlord/superintendent fix a broken elevator after a given amount of time..say within 12 hours?

Specifically, in my building the elevator broke on Thursday. A sign was posted that said "repair service on the way". The elevator was still broken on Monday on my way to work..with the sign still taped on the door.

While it was just an annoyance for me, there are others in the building who have small children (stollers), persons with handicaps - need cane - or even someone like me who had knee surgery last year and couldn't use the stairs for a time. Not to mention the possibility that someone could hurt them selves carrying something they didn't expect to.

Perhaps this occassion could be realted to the holiday weekend..but it has happened in our building many times before...like 8-10 times annually.

When I first moved into building I was told to call fire department to log a complaint - that would force the landlords hand on this.

In summary, is there any way that we can require that the elevator get fixed in a timely way - other than pay for repair ourselves? It just doesn't seem right to call the FDNY over this.

And, while you are considering this...could in fact I (or with others) pay for the repair - but then deduct it out of the up coming month's rent (assuming I had that kind of money on hand)?

Thank you so much for your advice. I just feel so helpless in this situation.
cathy b

Re: broken elevators

Postby cathy b » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:29 pm

Guess what - elevator is out again.

So I read the legal handbook and found that heat and hot water are mandatory...but is providing elevator service? I did not see it.

At first thought I would think it is not mandatory to maintain - but then again, if a person needs that kind of support - they wouldn't move into a walk up.

Any thoughts or experience that you would like to share would be appreciated. Thanks
cathy b

Return to NYC General Discussion