TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Tenant.net's 9/9/13 'primary election' email

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Tenant.net's 9/9/13 'primary election' email

Postby sr77 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks for that 9/9/13 'primary election advisory' email.

Can you explain "Stay away from Marc Landis"? The linked article didn't really make a case against him, unless representation of landlords (as well as tenants) automatically disqualifies him in TenantNet's view (& maybe it should).

I'm planning to vote for Helen Rosenthal ("because Bruno forced our arm" -- ??? -- What's that about?), but have wondered about Landis's many endorsements, which have also mentioned his pro bono representation of tenants, e.g. (from recent mailer):

"When the Salvation Army wanted to turn two buildings into condos -- and empty them of low-income seniors and survivors of domestic violence -- Marc represented the tenants pro bono. He fought to bring the buildings under rent stabilization and later worked closely with the tenants to ensure they were relocated to safe, affordable buildings."

Last statement there is a bit confusing: If the building was brought under rent stabilization, why did the tenants need to be relocated?
sr77

Postby TenantNet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:33 pm

See http://tenant.net/alerts/Marc_Landis_17 ... iction.pdf
for more info on Landis

It was rent stabilized, but Landis' clients got a Federal Bankruptcy Court order directing that the building be sold free of rent stabibilization and rent control, and Landis helped them prepare a notice to all the tenants in English and Spanish telling them to get out in one week, or they would be evicted by federal marshals!

Yeah, nice UWS liberal who has no problem when it comes to evicting poor Latinos in Washington Heights to make room for the gentrifiers.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby sr77 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:55 pm

TenantNet wrote:Yeah, nice UWS liberal who has no problem when it comes to evicting poor Latinos in Washington Heights to make room for the gentrifiers.

OK, fair enough.

What was "because Bruno forced our arm" (re: Helen Rosenthal) about?
sr77

Postby TenantNet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:57 pm

We can't say :)

TenantNet

Postby sr77 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:37 am

I voted for De Blasio largely because of your (i.e., TenantNet's) Sept. 9 email, which convinced me of the need to prevent Quinn from being a runoff candidate.

Before that I had intended to abstain, since there were no mayoral candidates I liked -- except, with reservations, Anthony Weiner, primarily for his Woody Allenish side. Otherwise, good ideas, smartest of the candidates, unreliable for tenants, kicked himself in the foot by giving in to his texting compulsion.

Quinn is now out, but I have no enthusiasm for De Blasio, never having found much of anything to like about him. Just out of curiosity, does Joe Lhotta have a record of any kind vis a vis tenants? (No hits from Google search.)
sr77

Postby TenantNet » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:05 am

Lhota was Deputy Mayor for Giuliani, so you can get an idea what he thinks of tenants. Listen to his victory speech (if you can find it on the web). He's oblivious to anything other than the corporate boardroom.

Yes, we have concerns with de Blasio, and those will need to be articulated and pressure will need to be brought.

The bottom line is that someone will be elected Mayor, who do you want? Can we change de Blasio?

TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi All
A large LL company is family to Kalikow, a past CEO/pres. of MTA, is Lahota a buddy....who knows?
Emeraldstar

Postby sr77 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:15 am

TenantNet wrote:Lhota was Deputy Mayor for Giuliani, so you can get an idea what he thinks of tenants.

How much power does the mayor really have to change or influence anything that affects tenants? Aren't most of the laws and regulations in the hands of the State?

Listen to his victory speech (if you can find it on the web). He's oblivious to anything other than the corporate boardroom.

I only caught a snippet. He said he would hold monthly town meetings. At least that sounded okay to me. If he's just a corporatist, that won't be okay. But have any recent mayors, Democrat or Republican, really been the friends/allies/advocates of/for tenants? Seems to me in the end it's always a case of Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

The bottom line is that someone will be elected Mayor, who do you want? Can we change de Blasio?

Since there's no choice (except Lhota), at this point it's wait and see. Unless there's a Democratic runoff and Anthony Weiner finds a way to wiggle in.

Just kidding.
sr77

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am

Hi All
Seems to me it's zombie invasion. Kalikow in MTA & Spitzer exposed MTA double books at that time, & resulted in nothing. Presently a resurrected Spitzer running for an office & Lahota .....talk about coincidence & potential NYS input.... while one sector is eating tenants alive (transit increases) the other will demand it's share as well.
Oh my....Weiner wiggle :oops:
Emeraldstar

Postby sr77 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:01 pm

I am still curious as to how much power the Mayor of NYC has over tenant-related issues.

If he can't really exert influence in tenant-related matters, that's worth considering when deciding on who to vote for.

Have there been past actions by DeBlasio that have provided clear evidence that he has any particular commitment to supporting tenants? If so, what were they?

Thanks.
sr77

Postby TenantNet » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:11 pm

The Mayor can exert a lot of influence on tenant issues:
- RGB appointments
- City Planning and zoning
- HPD enforcement or non-enforcement
- DOB enforcement or non-enforcement
- Economic Development that can force tenants out.

Yes, it matters.

TenantNet

Postby sr77 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:45 am

TenantNet wrote:The Mayor can exert a lot of influence on tenant issues:
- RGB appointments
- City Planning and zoning
- HPD enforcement or non-enforcement
- DOB enforcement or non-enforcement
- Economic Development that can force tenants out.

Yes, it matters.

Does DeBlasio have any record on any of these, or past actions that indicate what he’s likely to do on each of them?

Does Lhota have a record indicating he would do worse?

In this day and age I can't find any validity to just assuming that voting Democrat will always be the better choice.
sr77

Return to NYC General Discussion