TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Renewing non-rent-stabilized lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Renewing non-rent-stabilized lease

Postby newtenant » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:02 pm

My landlord wrote me as my lease was about to expire, asking if I intended to renew and I responded affirmatively, mentioning that we'd like to keep any increase minimal (we've agreed to 3-5% increases in the past). He didn't respond with a number but said that he needs to keep the rent at market rate and would be in touch about the amount. Since then my lease has expired and I haven't heard from him, but he has accepted several rent payments. Should I worry that he may be looking for someone willing to pay substantially higher rent? Prices have been skyrocketing in the neighborhood. I'm wondering whether I should wait for him to initiate the increase or take the initiative and propose a number myself.
newtenant

Postby TenantNet » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Your last set of posts indicate you are a RS tenants, but now you're posting in the non-RS forum. Which are you?

And I'm not sure if you got accurate advice the last time.

You can't be both market rate and be RS. Clear this up.
Last edited by TenantNet on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Different apts/leases

Postby newtenant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:34 am

Had a rent-stabilized lease a few years ago--have moved to a non-RS apartment since.
newtenant

Postby TenantNet » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:27 am

If you actually (physically) moved to a different apartment that is not rent stab, then you lost all your protections. Why in the world would you do that?

You could check to see if the unit you are now in was formerly RS and if it was deregulated properly. Many (I would say most) were not deregulated properly. You would need to obtain a rent history from DHCR and also see what really happened. If warranted you can make a complaint to DHCR.

So now without protections and without a lease, you have become a month-to-month tenant and the LL can seek to get you out whenever he wishes.

Yes, I would be worried.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments