TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Apt. Management Issues - What to do?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Apt. Management Issues - What to do?

Postby jbrick18 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:23 pm

I've had a few issues with management in the last couple of months:

(1) It took management close to a month to fix a second hot water heater in my apartment building, so most mornings that month I was unable to take a hot shower.

(2) My floor boards started to erupt out of my bedroom floor - there was literally a foot mountain cutting across my bedroom floor, where I was constantly tripping (especially at night), stubbing my toes or hurting my feet. Management told me that the floor could get fixed in a day, yet after 5 weeks, contractors are just starting on it, and, in the process have ripped apart my entire bedroom floor and disheveled my entire apartment.

What can I do? Am I able to deduct a certain amount from my rent next month (i.e., the cost of a hotel room, the price of a cleaning service). What about the hot water issue? Can I deduct the price of my gym membership where I had to take my morning showers? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Like most New Yorkers, I'm paying quite a bit for rent each month (more than half of my salary), and I don’t want management to get the best of me.
jbrick18

Re: Apt. Management Issues - What to do?

Postby joliett » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:23 am

You should document your problems and send certified letter to landlord. Put complaint in with HPD and if landlord doesnt fix you get rent reduction.
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Re: Apt. Management Issues - What to do?

Postby lappert » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:22 am

Just to clarify, get documentation: take photos, keep a dairy of everything that happens - and everything that the LL says. Get witnesses. Prove your case that you're being 'constructively evicted.' There are no automatic rent reductions. You could withhold rent and if/when the LL takes you to court, you can counterclaim for an abatement. Although the fact that he's now starting work could mitigate that. DHCR - forget. That takes too much time and they're too landlord-friendly (although so is the court).
lappert

Return to NYC General Discussion