TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Roomies Won't Sign Agreement

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Roomies Won't Sign Agreement

Postby DeeTheRoomie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm the last to move into a 3bd apartment. I was under the impression that the utilities were already under one of the roommates name, but found out that Roomie 1 (the one who posted the ad for the room) closed the electric bill account before i moved in. I was told that I had to be the one to reopen the account. It's the only utility we're responsible for + rent. Now the bill is more then a weeks pay for me because I make just above minimum wage, and I don't want to get into financial trouble trying to pay a bill for 2 or 3 people if someone decides not to pay. And conEd can be real high. I'm in school so I can get a better job, already.

Roomie 1 is flakey (they might move out or maybe not, maybe in summer fall or winter) And I've had no communication with Roomie 2, despite my attempts, I'm getting the silent treatment. I don't even know what they look like, because I wake early and work late so everyone is in bed by the time I get home.

I printed out a roommate agreement that fits our situation and followed what we verbally agreed to (every bill split equally and clean up after yourselves) and told them I will be the primary holder of the light bill if they signed it. Or any one of them can open the account themselves. I told them via phone messages if they had any changes they want to make or questions, let me know. Then I left the agreement in the main room. Days later, no signatures, no communication. I can tell its been read though. Countdown to the lights being turned off begins.

what can I do?
DeeTheRoomie

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments