TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Pet issue

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Pet issue

Postby 718films » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:52 am

If my landlord has a pet, as does her other tenant, who is her daughter, who also has a pet. My question is simple, if my landlord has a pet, as does the other people occupying the dwelling, can she deny me a pet? Also,on a month to month lease, things can be doctored from month to month, correct?
718films

Re: Pet issue

Postby TenantNet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:02 am

Legally yes. Rules for one tenant do not necessarily apply to other tenants. It usually depends on what is in your lease, and usually applies with some consistency to all tenants.

But - in what appears to be a small building or house with 1 to 2 tenants and the LL also living there - the LL can make up the rules just for you. And without a lease, being month-to-month, it allows the LL to be even more arbitrary.

While it would be a little more difficult for the LL to change rules like having a pet every month, remember, the LL can always seek to evict you without waiting until the end of a longer lease.

If you're in NYC, the pet law still applies. If you've had a pet openly for 3+ months, then the LL has waived its right to object. See http://tenant.net/Rights/pets.html
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Pet issue

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:59 pm

The LL has waived the right to object during the current lease, but, if you're month to month, that doesn't mean much.
BubbaJoe123

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments