TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Fire Escape..3 Story Building

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Fire Escape..3 Story Building

Postby wizard78 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:01 pm

I have a concern living in a 3 story building with no fire escapes. Im on top floor...Building was built in 1971 for what its worth. Smoke in the hallways would be a colossal problem. I do see 3 story buildings with escapes---others without them. Newer buildings do not appear to have them. Wondering what the fire code is. I have a porch on the top floor and would stay out there if there was a fire in the hall (or my apt) because I certainly would not leave by way of the hallway. Is the porch considered safety? Some in the dwelling have bendable ladders. I dont. A fire here, and I would feel somewhat trapped on the porch. Am I to assume this is all legal. How does my 80 pound dog get out from the third floor. Jumping into a fire net ? That could be a problem. Wondering what the legal status is on 3 story buildings. I live in Brooklyn
Thank you sincerly for your help.
wizard78

Re: Fire Escape..3 Story Building

Postby TenantNet » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:01 am

Can't give you a definitive answer, but I always thought that in buildings floors 3 and above required either a fire escape or be outfitted with sprinklers. Units must have two means of egress. Fires escapes can be internal as well, as long as the two sets of stairs are separated by a firewall.

Your best bet is to contact the Fire Dept.

Also see the attached PDF document, sent to us by an architect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby wizard78 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:25 pm

TenantNet wrote:Can't give you a definitive answer, but I always thought that in buildings floors 3 and above required either a fire escape or be outfitted with sprinklers. Units must have two means of egress. Fires escapes can be internal as well, as long as the two sets of stairs are separated by a firewall.

Your best bet is to contact the Fire Dept.

Also see the attached PDF document, sent to us by an architect.

Thank you very much
wizard78

Postby 10ants » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Lots of times, the hallway sprinklers are concealed.
10ants

Return to NYC General Discussion