TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No way to contact new mgmt company.

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

No way to contact new mgmt company.

Postby sdatts » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:22 pm

I am in a 6-story rent-stabilized apartment in Brooklyn. I have discovered that we now have a new management company, but I have no real way to contact them.

My rent is due the 1st of the month, and when I didn't receive the usual rent invoice to send my rent in, I just mailed it in a regular envelope. Then on March 4, I get a rent invoice slipped under my door from a completely different company. No letter in my mailbox to let me know who these people are or how to contact them. There is no phone number included in the rent invoice. So I look at the bulletin board downstairs and there is a notice dated March 3 saying that these people are the new management company, and it includes the phone number. I have called the phone number several times to get more information and to let them know that I sent my rent to the old company, but I only get a v-mail that says it's the accounting department. Now that number says it isn't taking any messages.

I called the old management company who says they will forward my money to the new company...but I don't trust them and the check still hasn't been cashed. They also say they have no other contact number for these people. So I have no number or email address for repairs, emergencies, or anything. Don't they, by law, have to provide a way to contact them? And aside from researching them online, how should I proceed?

Thanks in advance.
sdatts

Re: No way to contact new mgmt company.

Postby TenantNet » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Do you know if it's the same landlord with a new name or if the building has been sold? Check the NYC Dept. of Finance ACRIS system to find out. http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/CP/

Either way I would ask them to verify to you that they are indeed the new landlord. It sometimes happens where someone new comes along who isn't the LL and has no legal claim to the rents, and if tenants pay them the legal landlord comes after them, forcing tenants to pay twice.

I would exercise caution. You could send a certified letter to the old and new LL asking them to prove the sale of the property, and that you will withhold your rent in escrow until the issue can be cleared up.

Yes they have to give you contact info.

BTW, do not post duplicate messages. We deleted your dupe. See the forum rules for any questions.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: No way to contact new mgmt company.

Postby sdatts » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:40 pm

Ah, yes, thanks - I accidentally posted the other message in the wrong forum and didn't know how to get rid of it.

I think it's the management company that has changed, no the landlord, but I need to check on that.
sdatts

Return to NYC General Discussion