TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Court-Appointed Receiver not returning Security Deposit

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Court-Appointed Receiver not returning Security Deposit

Postby ar123 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:29 am

From November 2014 to May 2015, I was living in a non-rent stabilized building in Brooklyn that had a court appointed receiver and was being managed by a professional management company. In early April 2015, it was sold to a new owner, and the management company provided notification that all leases were transferred to new owner. I vacated the unit under agreement with the new building owner in May 2015 and have since been trying to recover my security deposit. However, the receiver has not yet filed accounting with the court to release security deposits. I've contacted the court, the receiver, and the lawyer of the receiver to no avail. I'm considering suing the receiver in small claims court but am confused about legality, given that there is court appointment middle-man in the scene.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ar123

Re: Court-Appointed Receiver not returning Security Deposit

Postby TenantNet » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:46 am

Buildings, by themselves, are not rent stabilized. Individual units can be RS, but not complete buildings.

Often court appointed receivers are known as 7A receivers, and usually come due to the owner's ongoing lack of maintenance at the building and other issues.

If you sue, consider adding both the receiver and the new owner as respondents to the suit, and let the process sort out who is responsible for the deposit.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion