TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Long Drawn Out Plumbing Repair

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Long Drawn Out Plumbing Repair

Postby Turmeric9 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Hello,

What recourse is there if a management company continues to send out their own 'plumber' but the issue remains AND you feel that they have not exhausted all of the repair options?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Turmeric9

Re: Long Drawn Out Plumbing Repair

Postby TenantNet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Is the person who shows up a licensed plumber, or does he/she work for a company that has a licensed plumber at its head?

What is the condition that needs to be repaired? How has it not been repaired?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Turmeric9 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:57 pm

I don't know if he in particular is licensed but I can find that out. Shower temps fluctuate unrelated to a toilet being flushed or kitchen/bath sink being used simultaneously during a shower. He's come out multiple times and has not discussed replacing or looking at the temp valves in the shower. The temp continues to fluctuate going hot to cold vs versa and now they want to test the temps during his next visit (this has been going on for 3 weeks and is the first time in the many years I've lived here that I've experienced this issue)
Turmeric9

Postby TenantNet » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:14 pm

This may not be what you're looking for, but at least the LL is sending someone out. Many tenants don't get that. If the shower temp is fluctuating, what about the temp in the kitchen? Same problem?

TenantNet

Postby Turmeric9 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:45 pm

I know people deal with worse. When the mgr says things like, well the plumber came out and he didn't find a problem, it worries me since my daily reality indicates otherwise. Only happens in the shower, not the kitchen or bathroom sink. Besides the inconvenience of the cold water shock, my worry is when the hot water comes on without the cold water. There's no rhyme or reason to when it happens and happens throughout the course of shower.
Turmeric9

Postby TenantNet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Does it take an inordinate amount of time for the water to get hot - like maybe 5+ minutes? There is an explanation for that.

What about other tenants above or below you? Do they have the same problem?

TenantNet

Postby Turmeric9 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:51 pm

No the hot water comes on right away. I've been told by the super that the other tenants are not having the same problem. I can check with them. While I understand plumbing is a lot triage, my concern is the response I'm getting from mgt being that if they don't find a problem in the temperature when they take it then they're not doing anything to fix the issue. My reality continues to be that the water fluctuates between scalding hot or completely cold during a shower and not at any one particular time. There's been no discussion re adjusting the shower temp/mixing water valves and that has me extremely concerned re next steps. There's clearly a problem and I'm getting stuck in a loop I'd like to know how to pursue.
Turmeric9

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:24 pm

With any problem, you have to be able to document it so the LL (and later perhaps a judge or BPD) can see it. LLs are quick to dismiss complaints. That's the nature of being a LL - and even moreso on NYC. That's why documentation is important.

From a practical standpoint, that goes for anything from plumbing to cleaning up computer code ... replicate the problem so one can trace the cause.

Does the problem occur during certain times of the day and not others? Do any of the neighbors have washing machines that might be a possible cause?

TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion