TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No Electricity - New Meter - What do I do?!

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

No Electricity - New Meter - What do I do?!

Postby OregontoBrooklyn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Huge thanks in advance for any input into the situation.

I'm moving into an apartment this Saturday and after finally getting a copy of the lease in to supply to conedison, I encountered a bigger issue.

I was told that the meter was removed since I signed the lease (within the last 30 days) and that there is no power in the apartment. They cannot turn on the power until they get the new meter number.

I have contacted the less than responsive mgmt and maintenance number for the new apartment to see if anyone can get me this damn meter number and give me some insight.

I move in on Saturday and afraid I'll be without power. Is anyone aware of any laws or what I can possibly do to put pressure on the mgmt to fix the situation? It seems kind of crazy that they'd remove the meter and not report it to conedison.

Again, huge thanks for any input.
OregontoBrooklyn

Re: No Electricity - New Meter - What do I do?!

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Never heard of this. I don't understand what you mean by "meter number." Meters are normally left in apartments from tenant to tenant, unless Con Ed has a specific reason for removing it.

Are you saying that Con Ed needs to get a meter number (whatever that is) from the landlord? Can you provide some more detail?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion