TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Desperate to resolve Neighbor noise

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Desperate to resolve Neighbor noise

Postby dantruong02 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:19 am

Hi all. I am new to New York City and I really love it here, except for my neighbors. I have neighbors on all sides that play music that is over 50 decibels (which is defined as loud enough to disrupt sleep) in my apartment throughout the day. I work nights and I need to sleep! My neighbor doesn't care because it is outside of quiet hours. Our landlord has been helpful with the worst neighbor, but since he started proceeding to evict our upstairs neighbor (who also behaved in a way that ended with out bathroom ceiling caving in) our downstairs neighbor has become worse. We have asked him to turn down music once previously and otherwise hear very little noise. But it has been louder and more frequent the last few days and when I went down to request he decrease the volume he screamed at me, told me it was in my head, and proceeded to to play the music. I feel like I am losing my mind with all this noise. We have repeatedly filed 311 claims, called the super, called the manager, called the precinct... but it feels non-stop. I have desperately tried to be a quiet and polite neighbor. I wear headphones and keep the noise down, but my neighbors seem to think that is an unreasonable request. I can't afford to move at this point but the noise is affecting my mental health (I have panic attacks), getting me behind in school, affecting my work with the lack of sleep, and making me feel generally ill. I want to break my lease as soon as I have the money, but I don't even know where to go to find a quiet apartment. If anyone can give me advice on fixing the noise or best places to find an apartment with like-minded neighbors I'd love the help. I've had two breakdowns over the noise and I can't handle a third...
dantruong02

Re: Desperate to resolve Neighbor noise

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm

It looks like your userid contains your real name - you should change that.
BubbaJoe123

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 pm

I don't know if the user name is similar to the poster's real name, but I can tell you it is not similar to the email address used to register this account. But if it is, then yes, the user should change it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:37 am

I always hate answering these kind of posts as the poster will never be satisfied.

Noise? Welcome to the city. It goes with the territory. Tenant lawyers often will refuse to even take noise cases as it's almost impossible to win. To a certain extent, you should get used to it.

Noise is subjective. What is a major problem for some people can be nothing to even think about to others. Where does it start and stop? Even with objective measuring devices, it's not possible to determine the impact on the person who listens to the noise. And legally some level of noise is acceptable (yes, even at 3 AM).

It can depend on the type of noise. Some are more irritated with loud rock music, or pounding on the walls or floors, or the bass of the music. But others will be more annoyed with an ongoing hum that some can't even hear.

If it's music, well country music is like screeching to some. Others will hate opera.

Police? They will say it's a civil issue and you need to talk to the landlord (despite that being just another NYPD lie, that's what they often say).

However there are some guidelines (did you check the forum reference section?). Yes, talking to a neighbor is always the first step. Many don't realize what they are doing is irritating you and will gladly reduce the noise.

Second, document the problem. Keep a log, but be truthful. Don't make assumptions. You really do not know if the kids are jumping up and down, and you really don't know if they are moving furniture. And you really don't know the music is 50 decibels, do you? Avoid making remarks like "all sides," or "all hours."

Understand there is no law that says other tenants must carpet their apartment. Some leases require this, but it's the landlord who can enforce it, not you.

Having done all that, talk to the landlord. Be calm, reasonable and don't make up stories. You want the LL on your side and to actually speak to the neighbor.

Expect a) the neighbor will claim that it's YOU who are making the noise, b) the landlord will try to blame you, and c) the LL will say no one else has complained.

All these are bullshit responses. but make sure you don't do anything that will give them cause to blame you.

Complain to the city; call 311. Really not much the city can do, but get the complaint on record. But on the other hand, that you've made so many complaints, well people will preceive you as just a constant complainer.

Be persistent, but don't let yourself be put in a situation where they think you are crazy. The problem is that some people who complaint about noise, well some indeed are crazy. Reading the post above, I do wonder if you are overly-sensitive.

Get neighbors on your side. If they are affected, they should complain as well. Or at lease they can verify what you are saying is truthful.

Record the noise. Get your smartphone out and make recordings.

Time of day? Sorry, but daytime the threshold of what is objectionable is much higher than late at night. That you work nights and sleep days, well sorry, but that is your choice.

OK that's a lot.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion