TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

HDFC Renter Question

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

HDFC Renter Question

Postby rsc1589 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Everyone,

I am a renter in an HDFC building. This has been a troubled building with a neighbor in the unit below us who has subsequently kicked out the last two tenants who have lived above her. This seems to have violated the sort-term sublease rules of HDFC, which state "a unit should not be rented out for more than 18 months in a five year period."

Essentially, this tenant has harassed us, threatened us, etc. Just a bad tenant. However, she is on the co-op and we are not. They did not renew our lease but could not give a reason why. We have never been approached by the board, management company, etc. for wrongdoings. But after spending an exorbitant amount of money on rental broker to find this place, movers, etc. they are now non-renewing us after one year.

Do we have the same rights as co-op members? I have not seen the bylaws? Should I ask for the board's Minutes. I feel as if this is truly an unfair situation.
rsc1589

Re: HDFC Renter Question

Postby TenantNet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 pm

I wish I could give you a more informed answer, but info on HDFC's is not one of our strong areas. Is there anything to indicate rent stab status? Like other coop/condos, if you were not a tenant in the building when it was converted to HDFC status, you probably do not have RS protections.

What about the person who actually owns your unit? Have you checked with him/her?

HDFC boards are often power fiefdoms for other residents, and bylaws change from building to building.

Still, perhaps you should consult with a local housing group or tenant attorney who has more experience with HDFCs.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues