TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

re: Co-op rental

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

re: Co-op rental

Postby innocent1997 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Greeting,

Regarding rental from co-op vs regular non-regulated apartment rental, what do prospective tenants need to be careful of when renting from co-op?

I have been in non-regulated apartment before all my life. Now, I am looking to move and the new area has significant less non-regulated apartment and more co-op. I have been in lawsuit against landlord before due to inhabitable condition and it is no fun in Housing Court.

Any advice on co-op rental would be appreciated.

Thanks
innocent1997

Re: re: Co-op rental

Postby TenantNet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:35 pm

Ever hear of the tenant blacklist? It's been discussed at length on this forum. Tenant can get on the blacklist when they are taken to housing court - and often whether they win or not.

When looking for a new apartment, many landlords will check your credit and the blacklist. I would think it's best to apply for units owned by a small landlord, who might do a less extensive background search on you.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby innocent1997 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks this is a great reminder , I did have the records expunged from tenant screening database by agreeing with the landlord on the stipulation.

I will double check again with a the tenant database to get a report on myself verifying.

Coop probably checks much more than apartment.
innocent1997

Postby TenantNet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

But you would be renting from an individual coop owner, yes? The other downside is that people who own/rent only one unit might not be that responsive to problems. But OTOH, neither are large LLs.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby innocent1997 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:35 pm

You are right. It will be from individual co-op owner, I was blindsided just thinking about the board approval process of co-op. I have this nightmare view of board approval from some stories that I heard like the board approval can take a long time and they can give hard time to tenants.

Though I am not sure what would happen if the co-op unit occupant below me complains about me walking too loud. What court of law will apply in that kind of issues. Would the board take me to housing court to put carpet or evict me? or it will be co-op owner against co-op owner to enforce its tenant to put carpet.
innocent1997

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:53 am

Co-ops vary widely in terms of the intensity of their scrutiny of both tenants (your landlord) and subtenants (you). How much they're going to require from you in terms of a package for board approval, if they want an interview, how long they take, etc., depends entirely on the particular co-op.

Typically, subleasing a co-op will include as part of the package an agreement between you and the tenant (i.e. your landlord) that you will abide by the co-op house rules. If you violate those rules (i.e. if there's a carpeting rule, and you don't follow it, and there are complaints), then the co-op would typically penalize your landlord (i.e. the tenant) if you don't remedy the situation, and the landlord would be able to pass any penalties on to you.
BubbaJoe123

Postby Typhoon_SSN » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 am

In other words, there's one more level of responsibility that can experience a failure and be problematic for everyone ; so you have to pay attention both to what you are doing as a (sub)tenant, and to what is the middle tenant doing. Be careful to keep the contracts with yourself and to read everything, even the small boring text.
Typhoon_SSN

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments