TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

HOW DO I SUE HPD?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

HOW DO I SUE HPD?

Postby victory » Tue May 29, 2018 5:16 pm

HPD has caused me and thousands of other tenants much agony in so many ways. Problems include: not enforcing statutes and laws, closing cases prematurely, lazy, inadequate inspections, this list continues for all of us.
Can someone tell me how I sue them for negligence; interfering in my ability to have mold removed and repairs done. Which court? I am deadly serious about suing them and I look forward to representing myself. I will attempt to get the public to appear as witnesses at the trial.
thank you,
posted, 5/29/18, 516pm, ET
victory

Re: HOW DO I SUE HPD?

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 pm

You have to sue for something specific, not a general feeling that they are incompetent.

You can commence a HP Action in Housing Court, alleging that HPD and the LL are not maintaining the building (i.e., Warranty of Hab issues).

Beyond that you can sue in Supreme Court. You can commence and Article 78 proceeding, effectively appealing a bad decision by HPD.

Or for almost everything else, you can sue in Supreme for things like declaratory orders, injunctions and so on. Those get complicated and you would really need a lawyer.

The public to appear as wtinesses? What are you smoking?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion