TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Appliances I purchased and put in my apartment

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Appliances I purchased and put in my apartment

Postby Honest 2019 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello All,

I live in a private apartment building. Does the management company has the right to tell me that I can not remove my appliances (that I purchased) until I hand over the keys to the apartment? That doesn't sound right. Handing over my keys on the last day of the lease is like handing over my appliances to the management company too. They say after I give them the keys they will cap the gas pipe so I can remove my oven. Can they do that? They have the right to tell me when I can move out my personal possessions? Please advise.
Honest 2019

Re: Appliances I purchased and put in my apartment

Postby TenantNet » Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 pm

If your appliances are permanently attached to the building, the LL can make the argument that you can't remove them. But in our opinion, we agree that you can remove them whenever you wish, if done legally and safely.

The LL might give you a problem, but the real issue in our view is that you restore the unit to its original condition, i.e., plaster/paint over whatever was damaged when you installed the appliance.

Of course some buildings might not let you use the elevator to remove the appliance.

And of course, if it's a gas over, you should hire a licensed plumber to make the disconnection. You can disconnect it early, and actually move it later.

You might wish to contact Con Edison to see if they have any policies on this.

Also, consider that depending on the LL, they might get their dander up and withhold you security deposit. So consider that.

And make sure you have many many photos, and record any conversations you might have on this issue.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion